RASTECH Magazine

Industry update News
Huon Aquaculture to build new RAS facility in Port Huon

July 2, 2024  By RAStech staff


Site location of the proposed expansion. (Photo: Huon Aquaculture)

Huon Aquaculture is investing AUD $110 million (US $73 million) in regional Tasmania to build a new Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) in Port Huon.

The expansion of Huon’s existing freshwater Atlantic salmon nursery facility will allow it to continue growing fish longer on land, meaning fish that go to sea will be larger and spend less time in the marine environment. The investment will enhance year-round production.

In a press release, the company stated that the project is an investment that’ll generate over 150 jobs during construction and eight permanent jobs at Huon once the facility is operational. 

Advertisement

The Australian producer plans to start building the new facility in early 2025 (pending approvals) and aims to be fully operational by 2027.

The new facility will be located next to Huon’s existing Whale Point RAS facility on Whale Point Road, on an already cleared space. Other infrastructure like the pipeline to transfer fish to the well boat and water supply are already in place and do not need to be upgraded.

In expanding this RAS facility, the company aims to recycle and reuse up to 99 per cent of all water used on-site, while the remaining 1 per cent of wastewater generated from the Whale Point Nursery Facility will be used in Huon’s offshore bathing operations.


Print this page

Advertisement

Stories continue below